Is previous hiking experience required to go on a trek?

As long as you are in good physical shape, you do not require any hiking experience for short treks. However, if you are planning a trek longer than a week, some physical fitness programs such as running, swimming, hiking is recommended before you embark on a trek.

What equipment should I bring?

When selecting your personal items, keep in mind the number of days you’ll be camping, the time of year and the altitude. We advise our clients to bring these items:
Down Sleeping Bag
Down Jacket
Long sleeved shirt
Jumper or fleecy jacket
T – shirts
Trekking shoes or boots
Comfy shoes for around the camp
Mountain trekking boots
Polypropylene/wool socks
Light cotton socks for under wool socks
Sun hat
Woolen hat
Sun block for lips
Goggles or sunglasses
Long underwear
Insulated pants Nylon windbreaker
Nylon wind pants
Water bottle
Sewing kit
Medical & first aid kit
Flash light
Batteries and bulbs
Swiss army knife
Towel and toiletries

What is Teahouse Trekking? And how it is organized?

Teahouse trekking is guided walking and very popular in the well-developed tourist regions including Annapurna, Everest and Langtang – Helambu, where western cuisine as well Nepalese food (Dalbhat) is available. Overnight accommodation is in good, clean guest houses, lodges and hotels.

What is Camping trek? And how it is organized?

A camping trek is fully organized and supported, with a team of guides, cooks, sherpas and porters to accompany you. Our porters carry all the trekking gear, food, fuel and personal belongings. Our cooks prepare hot meals. Trekkers need only carry a small bag as required for the day. At night, tents for dining, sleeping and ablutions tents are provided and set up. Also mattresses and down-filled sleeping bags, tables and seating. 

In a typical camping trek, we start the day around 6 a.m. with a cup of hot tea. You are then provided with a bowl of warm water for washing. Then trekkers enjoy breakfast before leaving camp. The trek begins around 7.30 – 8 a.m. 

Trekkers can set their pace for pausing and sightseeing and the walk to the lunch spot will normally take 3-4 hours. On arrival, you are served a hot lunch. In the afternoon, after walking for another 3 to 4 hours, you arrive at the next camp around 5 p.m. Tea & snacks are served while our staff readies the camp. Dinner time is around 6/7 p.m. in the dining tent, lit with lanterns and comfortably furnished. The food is healthy, wholesome and hygienically prepared.

Is a Trekking permit required?

Yes, trekking permits are generally required in Nepal for most trekking regions. Nepal has a variety of trekking destinations, and the permit requirements can vary depending on the specific area you plan to trek in. The permits serve both administrative and conservation purposes, helping to regulate the flow of tourists and protect the natural environment.

Here are some of the popular trekking regions in Nepal and their respective permit requirements:

Annapurna Region: In the Annapurna Conservation Area, trekkers typically need an Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP) and a Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) card. The requirements and fees for these permits may change, so it’s advisable to check with the authorities or a local trekking agency for the most up-to-date information.

Everest Region: For trekking in the Everest region, you generally need a Sagarmatha National Park Permit and a Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit. Like the Annapurna region, permit requirements and fees can change over time.

Langtang Region: To trek in the Langtang National Park, you’ll need a Langtang National Park Permit and a TIMS card.

Manaslu Region: If you plan to trek in the Manaslu Conservation Area, you’ll require a Manaslu Restricted Area Permit as well as Annapurna Conservation Area permit, and you must be part of a registered trekking group with a licensed guide.

Mustang and Upper Dolpo Regions:
These areas are considered restricted and require special permits, including a Restricted Area Permit. You must also trek with an organized group and a licensed guide in these regions.

Other Regions: Some less-visited trekking regions may have different permit requirements, so it’s essential to research the specific area you intend to trek in and check with the appropriate authorities for permit information.

Keep in mind that permit regulations and fees can change, so it’s essential to stay updated with the latest requirements before embarking on your trek. Also, it’s highly recommended to trek with a licensed guide and through a registered trekking agency, as they can assist you with obtaining the necessary permits and ensure your safety during your trek. Trekking without the required permits can lead to fines and legal issues.

There are few restricted trekking areas in Nepal, where trekking permits are required. Please click here to know where the trekking permit is applicable.

What happens if I get sick?

We always suggest our travelers go on mountain trips with a local guide or porter to ensure your safety in case of any natural hazards. The most important thing is DON’T PANIC. You should ALWAYS ensure that you have a well-stocked and appropriate medical kit as well as sufficient insurance in case you should have to be evacuated. A slight case of diarrhea is to be expected, as well as sprains and muscle aches – all a part of walking in the hills. Altitude sickness is extremely dangerous but mostly avoidable if you follow a few simple rules: trek high and sleep low, drink at least 2 liters of water per day (not including beer or soft drinks!), and BE SENSIBLE. If you feel shortness of breath, a slight headache or dizziness, tell your porter/guide and rest immediately. Lie down, drink water. If you are still feeling unwell you may consider going down a few hundred meters. Do not pretend you are okay, and do not go down alone. A descent of a few hundred meters overnight may be enough to make you fully able to start trekking again tomorrow.

Does your company accept credit card payments?

We accept Visa cards and Master Cards for payment. If you are paying in person in Nepal, we request that you pay in cash as the bank charges for credit cards are quite high. 

What is the maximum weight allowed on domestic flights?

The normal weight limit is 20 kg. While the helicopter shuttle system is operating the limit to Lukla is 15 kg. 

How many extra days should I allow in case of flight cancellation?

If you are flying from a remote mountain airstrip like Lukla, Jomsom, Simikot, Taplejung and Dolpo, we should keep at least two spare days before your departure for home. 

Is it possible/easy to get equipment on hire?

There are trekking shops at Thamel, in Kathmandu in particular, where you can easily rent or buy items like sleeping bags, down jackets, rucksacks and duffel bags. However, Glorious Himalaya guide will assist you to purchase or rent your necessary belongings after your arrival in Kathmandu. 

Is communication to home possible while on trek?

There are facilities for internet and telephones in many villages along the popular trekking routes from which you can communicate with your family or friends. However, if you are trekking to the off-the-beaten-path treks such as Kanchenjungha, Dolpo, Manaslu, and Makalu ete, there won’t be the possibility of communications.

Are Glorious Himalaya Trekking Company’s trekking crew insured?

Our company insures all our trekking staff, including porters. 

What arrangements for drinking water are made while on trek?

You should bring a one-liter water bottle with you on the trek. We prefer that you purify water yourself using iodine in order to save scarce fuel. We can provide a limited amount of boiled water that you can use to fill your water bottle in the evening. Moreover, you can also purchase mineral bottled water at the local teahouses or shops.

What if the guide/porter leaves me alone the trail?

Sometimes the porter/guide may go on ahead if you are walking slowly on an easy trail, usually to find a good place to eat or stay the night. However, this doesn’t mean that you have been abandoned. Glorious Himalaya Trekking Agency’s porters or guides will Never leave you for long periods and will Never steal your bag or belongings. It is Guaranteed. 

What is the best season for trekking in Nepal? And can I go trekking in the months of June and July?

The best time for trekking in Nepal is October to early December and March/April. It is not very good trekking during the monsoon season from June to August except treks in the Himalayan rain shadow like Upper Mustang, Dolpo and Kailash. 

What is the weather & temperature like?

Weather in the mountains is notoriously difficult to predict. Of course, at night it is generally cold, and in winter the days can be quite beautiful if the sun is out. There can be snow or rain storms any time of the year. Trekking in spring (March – April) is particularly lovely as the rhododendrons are in full bloom, and the mountains still have plenty of high snow to enhance your photos. You need to be aware that it can get pretty hot and sunstroke can be a risk. Good polarizing sunglasses or glacier glasses (not trendy fashion ones) for high altitudes/winter treks, and a large brimmed hat are a necessity. It is also important to make sure that you can stay warm and dry in just about any conditions. Expect the unexpected! 

Between 1000m and 3500m the temperature could be as high as 20 deg C to 5 deg C low. At higher altitudes, the temperature ranges from 20 deg C to -10 deg C. During winter it is around 10 deg colder.

Will somebody come to pick me up at the Airport upon my arrival?

Yes, our Airport Representative will come to the airport to pick you up. Outside of Terminal Hall, he/she will be displaying a play card of Glorious Himalaya Trekking Company Agency with your name on it. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to the hotel in Kathmandu.

Is Nepal safe for solo female travelers?

Generally, Nepal is a safe country for solo women travelers. Also, Nepal is much safer than other South-Asian countries like India, and Bangladesh. The country holds 76th rank for the safest country out of 163 nations worldwide and also is the 3rd safest in South Asia next to Bhutan and Srilanka.

There is a popular belief in the Nepali culture saying “The guests are gods”, and people are always welcoming you by heart. However, women should still be cautious and traveling solo is not advisable in the trekking routes of Nepal, especially in the remote destinations, where you could face many problems during the trek.

Can I purchase trekking gear in Kathmandu?

It is not necessary to invest a great deal of money in buying your personal trekking gear in your country. As the majority of those gears can be purchased at reasonable prices in Kathmandu. Besides, we are happy to provide you with sleeping bags, and rain-protection duffel bags for the trek. (It should be returned after the trek).

Which hotel do we use in Kathmandu for your stay?

In our tour/trek packages, we provide luxurious 3-star standard hotels in Kathmandu. Such as Hotel Thamel Park, Kathmandu Eco Hotel, etc
However, we will reserve the above standard with an extra cost or budget hotels as per your preferences. You just need to tell us your requirements.

How much a porter can carry during the trek?

As a porter carries the bags for two clients, the maximum suggested load for a porter is 25kg, which means 12.5kg per client.

However, this is more of a limit than a plan, as 25 kg is quite heavy for a single person to carry. Besides, he also requires to carry his own bag. So you should thoughtfully decide what you intend to bring on the trek with you. It is a helpful idea to make a single bag between 2 of you.

The hotels and lodges will also offer the service of a luggage storeroom so you may leave any non-required items of clothing, footwear, and personal items in a spare bag with them.

How to get a Nepal travel visa?

The VISA process to Nepal is very quick and easy. All Visitors (except Indian nationals) are required a Valid Visa to access into Nepal. You can easily obtain a VISA upon arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport, or at any Nepal entrance borders of India or China. The citizens of China, member countries of SAARC, and the children under 10(except the US) will get a free Visa (Gratis Visa).

For Visa Application, you will require a passport (with at least 6 months until expiration) and one passport-size photo. The current visa cost for 15 and 30 days is USD 30 and 50 (To be paid only on Cash), although you can also pay the equivalent amount by other currencies (no Indian currency). You can also easily extend your Visa from Kathmandu or Pokhara.

Countries not entitled to get an arrival visa are Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Swaziland, Somalia, Liberia, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Iraq, Cameroon, and Palestine. If you are from the above countries please contact your nearby diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of the Nepal Government. We recommend scheduling your trip at least 1-2 days extra in the case of delays. We will arrange additional activities if no delay occurs.

Please be advised to check the current regulation for a more detailed and recent update.

How to avoid altitude sickness?

Altitude Sickness is non-discriminatory and can happen to people of any age, gender, shape or size. It is common when people gain higher elevation quickly. Your best defense against altitude sickness is to ascend slowly and to be prepared by following the tips below. 
1.    Drink Plenty of warm water ( 3-5 liters at least, no exceptions) 
2.    Proper Acclimatization and rest. Avoid rapid gains in elevation.   
3.    Eat well, more, and often than normal. 
4.    Avoid Alcohol, Tobacco & Cigarettes.
5.    Do not spend too much time at high altitudes pass.
6.    Use proper Medications for AMS.
7.    Listen to your body, know the early signs and symptoms of AMS, and take action to prevent it from worsening. 

What is the exchange rate of US dollars in Nepal?

1 USD=~130 Nepali Rupees (NPR/Rs.)
You can exchange most of the foreign currency through local Banks or Money Exchanges in Kathmandu, and all-around Thamel …. READ MORE.

How to minimize the trek cost?

.         Get yourself a solar-powered charger or a power bank. 
·         Rent trekking gears and clothing from local stores in Thamel. 
·         Carry chocolates, biscuits, energy bars, Dried Fruits, and other snacks to save money. 
·         Carry a water thermos and water purifying tablets. Bottled water at some high elevations costs up to $5. 
·         Do not consume alcoholic beverages.
·         Stay away from the internet for some while.
·         Spend wisely!

What are the symptoms of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness)?

Headache, often with loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, dizziness, and disturbed sleep.

What to do if you have AMS signs?
Stay at height for 1-3 days for acclimatization. If you still feel uncomfortable descend and use Diamox (250mg every 12 hours).
HACE (High Altitude Cerebral Edema) Signs:
Severe headache, loss of balance/coordination, staggering, irrational behavior, confusion, drowsiness, coma, unconscious.

What to do if you have HACE signs?
·         DESCEND immediately, even at night at least 1000 meters with someone else, Gamow bag, oxygen, keep patient warm and use Diamox.
HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) Signs:
Breathless (Even at rest), dry cough/pink or rusty spit, blue lips/nails, very tired, low fever, gurgling breath, drowsy.

What to do if you have HAPE signs?
·         DESCEND immediately, even at night at least 1000 meters with someone else, Gamow bag, oxygen, keep patient warm and use Diamox.
Ascend slow, don’t exert yourself, eat high carbohydrate foods, drink lots of water (better hot water), garlic soup. Avoid alcohol, smoking, and caffeine.

I am a solo traveler; can I join a group?

We also operate several group-joining trips with fixed departure dates, so if you are a solo traveler and we welcome you to join our group. In case there are no other travelers or an insufficient number of people on the dates you have booked, we will still run your trip.

Can I book a private trek?

Absolutely! We organize group treks as well as private treks. We will plan and customize your trip according to your requirements and preferences. You can choose your activities, style of accommodations, and destinations. We can add or deduct the number of days on our itineraries. Also, for the private trips, we can arrange guaranteed departure dates all year round.

Can I store my extra equipment in Kathmandu?

Yes, you can leave your extra luggage in Kathmandu that you would not need during the trek. You will receive the luggage tag from our hotel representative in Kathmandu before starting your journey. Your additional items will be carefully stored at our hotel. Our office representative will deliver all of your stored bags to your hotel after you return safely from the trek.

How much should I tip for my guide and porter?

Tipping is not compulsory or even customary in Nepal, but it is a nice way to say thanks to your guides and porters. The wages of workers in Nepal are significantly less than the average income of other developed countries. Tourist guides and porters are employed only when tourist make their visit to Nepal. And the rest of the time, they won’t have a job. They need to make money during the tourist season to support their family till the next season. Therefore, all tourist guides and porters accept thanks or tips from visitors after their treks or tours. It’s also a great way to motivate them for their generous involvement in tourism in the years to come.
Even more, your gratitude will encourage them to work harder and serve better on their next trips.

In general, tip them at least 10% of your trip cost or USD 10 -12 per day for the guide and USD 7-9 for the porters. However, if you are satisfied and feel the staff did an excellent job, you can tip them more than the mentioned.

Which type of adaptor is suitable for the trek?

Most of the tea houses have power, allowing you to charge your electronic gadgets. We suggest you carry a type C or D adaptor for charging at teahouses on the trek. You can readily find those types of adaptors at electronic stores in Kathmandu. It will cost from 250-500 Nepalese rupees.

Can I cancel or postpone my trip in case of any unforeseen circumstances?

Yes, you can cancel or postpone your trip in case of any difficulties. We are flexible in our trip booking policy. Certain charges may apply in case of trip cancellation and without any extra charges you can postpone your trip. For your prior information, you can also transfer your deposit for anyone you suggest or any other tours.
Check our Booking Terms and conditions through the given link. https://www.glorioushimalaya.com/terms-and-conditions/